Sunday, December 23, 2012

Reflection


During the course of the class, I have learned a lot material that I can use as an instructional designer and as an aspiring teacher.  What surprised me was that one learning theory or style applies to one person. It’s a mixture that best describes some learning style.  I will take what I learned about learning styles and theories and apply them to teaching in my classroom. I realize that everyone does not learn the same and as a teacher I have to do as much as I can to make sure each student can take something from the lesson. I was also introduced to other learning theories such as social learning theory, constructivism, and connectivism. There is a theory for just about every type of learning.  I also learned more about myself as a learner. I furthered my understanding of how I learn. By understanding how I learn, I can study better and become a better teacher. I’m the type of learner that has to read it, write it, and then repeat. I also learned by moving or being kinetic. My learning style could never fit into one category.  The same is true for everyone. The learning theories and style are to be used as blueprints to teach or understand how learning takes place.

The most important thing I learned from this course is the importance of motivation.  A student’s the motivation can make or break them in a course they are taking. Motivation is a two way street. Motivation can come from the students and their life or from the instructor. Motivation can also determine the outcome of the class and the students’ attitude about the class and the instructor. As an instructional designer we have to take motivation into account when design a curriculum or a class.  The use of the ARCS model can provide help when trying to analyze what motivates learners to learn.  As an instructional designer we can use ARCS model to design a class and to fix motivation for success within the class. Motivation can also be encouraged within a class. An example would be instructors sending their students encouraging words in an email or students interacting together through a blog. A student can have self-motivation. The desire to succeed can motivate a student to strive to do their absolute best in the class and ultimately strive to be the best in their field. Motivation is like the secret weapon for a success classroom environment.

What I learn in this course will help me in the field of instructional design because it provided me with knowledge of learning styles and theories. By being aware of learning styles and theories, I will be able to bring those into play when design curriculums and classes to make sure I reach every student or provide them with a way that they can comprehend the material. The knowledge of how important motivation is essential to designing a successful class or curriculum. Motivation with understanding learning is a recipe for success.  I enjoy what I learned in this class and I am looking forward to what else I will learn on the road to becoming an instructional designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment